Communications & Content Intern
Location: London, UK or any European city (note: we are unable to sponsor work visas)
About Global Optimism
Global Optimism was co-founded by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac on leaving the UN, having overseen the delivery of the landmark Paris Agreement. We are a small, nimble team dedicated to a clear mission to play our part in catalysing actions toward halving global emissions by 2030, laying the groundwork for a regenerative world where all people and nature can thrive.
Global Optimism inspires steadfast confidence in our collective human ability to dedicate ourselves to solving the biggest challenge humanity has ever faced – the climate crisis – by activating the stubborn optimists of the world.
We work across three broad pillars of action. (1) we change narratives and help to build resilient mindsets through our media platforms, especially the Outrage + Optimism podcast; (2) we work with likeminded partners on catalytic campaigns that impact on society, celebrate collective efforts and activate to influence change and (3) we precipitate sectoral shifts through our engagements with transformational private sector efforts.
Role Overview: Communications and Content Intern
We are seeking a Communications & Content Intern to support our tight-knit team to deliver Global Optimism’s influential content on climate change across digital channels and the podcast universe. This is a role that requires a super organised person with core skills in project management and design tools. You will have access to brilliant content, inspirational people, exciting partners and the chance to help to amplify powerful voices.
This is an entry level role for an aspiring communicator with the energy, diligence and the basic skills required to organise and support a content oriented team, offering a highly varied opportunity to develop and grow.
You will need very strong organisational skills and to be a good communicator. You will also have a creative flair, especially a passion for design or video. And of course, you will be comfortable with the issues surrounding climate change and keen to support the narratives and stories that matter for achieving progress on tackling the climate crisis.
You will be a strong team player, flexible and committed. You will be bringing your own skills to the role and will also have a unique opportunity to build your knowledge, skills and abilities with us.
Coordination of content production
On a weekly basis Global Optimism produces newsletters, articles, social media content and a successful weekly podcast.
This role includes:
- Scheduling coordination with guests
- Music artist liaison and administration
- Coordinating all non-audio content
- Maintaining a weekly project plan
- Maintaining the library of materials produced
- Supporting the Director of Strategic Communications in managing the overall delivery schedule
Supporting the weekly output of email communications
Website content management
Supporting the team in keeping website content up to date, coordinating with an external agency and the Digital Communications Manager
Social media content organisation
Supporting the Digital Communications Manager in the creation, delivery and maintenance of our content library
Measurement and reporting
Securing data from measurement tools for analysis and reporting purposes
Supporting with research and contacts database management, and providing support to ongoing media relations activity
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- Relevant University Degree
- Certificated programmes in journalism or communications are an advantage, but not essential
- Skilled use of Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, Word and Powerpoint
- Experience using social media platforms, particularly Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram
- Experience in podcast, radio or print media production at student level or above is an advantage
- Competence with design and editing tools (Canva and Premier Pro preferred)
- Ability to write clearly in English as first language
- Strong interest in climate change
- An organized, methodical approach to work
- A self-starter with an ability to work to deadlines
- A good team player and strong communicator
- Ability to think quickly and use initiative to solve challenges
- A positive outlook and can-do attitude will get you far!
Salary is competitive and commensurate with skills of the successful candidate.
Application Details and Deadline
Application deadline is Friday 16th July by midnight GMT.
Applicants should email a CV and cover letter of not more than 2 pages to email@example.com including the subject line: Communications & Content Application
Employment commences as soon as possible, preferably during August 2021, and by no later than 1 September 2021.